Wednesday, September 28, 2011

... And Glory Fills My Soul

I love to drive.
I can drive ANYWHERE.
I love that my job is longer than ten minutes away from my house because that means I Get To Drive!
(Note: I do NOT like being a passenger for any trip longer than 30 minutes. I get sick, I get cranky, I get uncomfortable... It's just not pretty.)
Apart from keeping me from feeling like I'm about to hurl my intestines all over suede (or leather- for those of you who apparently always park your car in the shade in 102 degree weather), driving is the time during my day where I am COMPLETELY focused on God. I talk to Him. I talk with Him. I LISTEN to what He's saying. Please understand that listening and doing tend to actually be two completely different notions for me...
... but that's another blog.
I say things in a car, that ordinarily I wouldn't say anywhere else. I mean, I carry it in my heart, but I don't repeat it with the same eloquence I had when at first I heard it.
The best part of my life with God, is in a car. Apparently. In a car is also is where I believe in myself, because most of my books are written there. (Thank Heavens for tape recorders.)
I get to hear
I get to listen
I get to share
I get to pray... sometimes for you
I also get to be a little annoyed at what God is doing that I may not like
I get to admit things that I ordinarily would never tell anyone else
I get to tell God that I am not as strong as everybody thinks I am
I get to tell God that when things are going really well, I appreciate it, but it makes me really nervous for when they may go awry.
I get to tell God all the things I want to do, and I want to be
I tell God that none of those things matter if I don't have Him first.

May I not forget to mention, that I love driving alone. While to the other drivers it may look like the girl in the car next to them who either has laughter creasing her the sides of her eyes, or tears running down her face is lonely; I know I've got Heaven.
And Heaven's got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment